In Southern Maryland, a career in health care comes with safe streets, solid schools and a coastal lifestyle. Smart medicine isn't all we've got going for us. St. Mary's County — surrounded by the Patuxent and Potomac rivers and the Chesapeake Bay — was voted the best mid-Atlantic small town region in the nation. Just an hour from Washington, D.C., and close to Baltimore, Annapolis, Maryland, and Richmond, Virginia, St. Mary's is a recreational paradise. In addition to water pastimes, land lovers enjoy local museums, walking tours, plantations and lighthouses. There is a rich historic heritage and a quality educational system.
Fishing, boating, sailing and crabbing on the sparkling waters of the Chesapeake Bay are all perks of living in St. Mary's County. Steaming Maryland blue crabs and roasting oysters are all traditions in Southern Maryland. Hiking, biking and strolling along natural waterways is a way of life here.
MedStar St. Mary's Hospital is an award-winning 96-bed acute care hospital with a strong commitment to investing in resources, equipment and technology that benefit our Medical Staff, and in turn, our community. Most importantly, our facility has an ongoing pledge to physician-driven medicine.
Why Choose MedStar St. Mary's Hospital?
Balancing your practice with your personal life is an important priority for everyone at MedStar St. Mary's, and living in Southern Maryland makes it worth the effort. You are never more than a few miles from the water and acres of nature and biking trails are ready for you to explore. Additionally, our community offers:
- Waterfront restaurants, live theater, art museums and cultural centers
- Several marinas and public golf courses
- Spectacular waterfront living opportunities
- Excellent public and private schools
- Higher education opportunities at St. Mary's College, the Southern Maryland Higher Education Center and the College of Southern Maryland
Continuing Medical Education
MedStar St. Mary's Hospital is committed to providing ongoing, high-quality continuing medical education (CME) to our Medical Staff. Our approved continuing education seminars include case reviews, pain management seminars, tumor boards, cancer care meetings, a breast cancer conference and much more. With access to advanced technology and facilities, we provide an ideal educational resource for medical professionals. The CME courses for primary and specialty physicians are developed and implemented based on needs assessments and current medical practice standards and knowledge.
- Pediatric and adult hospitalist program necessitating less call hours
- Innovative information technology, including our fully integrated electronic medical record system
- Leading-edge laparoscopic surgery, bedside emergency ultrasound and imaging technology
- Competitive compensation package
- Relocation assistance
- Operating room block scheduling
- Physician relations liaison
- Comprehensive hospice care in a newly constructed, state-of-the-art facility
- Physician participation on the Board of Directors
- On-site CME sessions
- Multidisciplinary/physician committees for collaborative work and improvement in practice
- Rapid response teams
- PALS education annually
- Education on various subjects carrying CME credits
- Physicians' lounge with amenities
- Free parking
Other Hospital Benefits
- Full-service cafeteria, The Café at Buena Vista, offers meals around the clock
- Free coffee and tea 24 hours a day
- Massage therapy provided on-site (at a cost)
- Gift shop
- On-site bank machine
- Pharmacy discounts
- Flexible spending accounts
- Short-term and long-term disability
Employment for Your Family
Family members often find positions within our facility. With about 1,100 associates, MedStar St. Mary's Hospital offers a variety of both clinical and non-clinical jobs. Whether your loved ones are seeking to work directly with patients or prefer administrative roles, MedStar St. Mary's is always interested in meeting talented individuals who would like to make a difference.
In addition to a strong healthcare community, the area supports a diverse range of employers, including many of the world's most respected defense and government contractors. In addition, Southern Maryland's proximity to Washington, D.C., Annapolis and Baltimore, translates into a range of opportunities for employment of significant others.
Arrange a Visit
Why not schedule some time to visit our facility and see the surrounding area? We can arrange for a realtor to show you some of Southern Maryland's most upscale neighborhoods, including stunning waterfront properties. Take a moment to sample the local cuisine, stroll by the water or enjoy the area's specialty boutiques. You'll find that St. Mary's County has a lot to offer you and your family! To arrange a visit, please call Don Lewis, Director of Physician Services, at 240-434-7740. For more information about the community, visit our Relocation Resources page.